Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent content by Wid

1. Wid

R-XSR legacy firmware?

Success! I found pictures to help at https://oscarliang.com/flash-frsky-rx-firmware/ Thanks again Chris(y)
  2. Wid

R-XSR legacy firmware?

Thanks Chris. That is clear enough. I should be able to take care of it tonight. I sure do appreciate Aloft products and services! I recommend AloftHobbies often. :)
  3. Wid

R-XSR legacy firmware?

Hey Chris. Thanks for the quick reply. I have downloaded and unzipped the folder and see the file RXSR_FCC_ACCST_191112.frk. Not sure how to proceed.
  4. Wid

R-XSR legacy firmware?

I bought a R-xsr from Aloft to replace one that died in a crash. Can't get it to bind and suspect firmware issues. Tx is Taranis X9D running OpenTx 2.2. I am happy with it and want to keep it. But if I am reading it right, available firmware on the FrSky site for the R-XSR is not compatable with...
  5. Wid

Thermal flying

Thanks. That flight convinced me I had found the plane that could do what I wanted, Keep up with the vultures if I read the air correctly. I have learned a lot by watching how the vultures do it. You can see when they approach stall they will do a little dive to gain speed into the lift and...
  6. Wid

Thermal flying

AS you probably know, days with low pressure have much more rising air than high pressure days. Gentle winds keep the thermals near longer.
  7. Wid

Thermal flying

The plane leads you and the air leads the plane. So I think of it as dancing with the air. And if you are lucky enough to fly with turkey vultures they will show the way and teach you a lot. And when you get good enough they will follow and join you when you find the lift! The vultures at...
  8. Wid

New Stuff / Laminating Films

Doing the balsa skins with thin DP covering might be a good way to go. They say Dp can do compound curves. Another plus is you can paint the balsa (light coats of spray paint work best) before laminating. It looks good. I have been impressed how much strength laminate adds to my balsa fins on...
  9. Wid

The DI is stiffer, less flexible more rigid. So it does not show all the little bumps and imperfections of the foam. Makes a very smooth and inflexible surface, reduces torsional flex significantly. It does not stretch or do compound curves very well. More info at the bottom of this page
  10. Wid

Thanks for your input. I often use the lighter CP film on the balsa surfaces of my slopers and it does strengthen them considerably. Since one of my passions is big air slope soaring the extra weight of the thick DI films is actually a benefit rather than a problem . I have been building and...
  11. Wid

I have become a real fan of laminating films on my foam planes. The 7 and 10 mil DI Laminating film make really stiff and smooth wings. Currently Aloft only has 5 and 3 mil. I am wondering if 5 mil is really all I need. I am very hard on my slopers and the thicker the film the stronger and...
  12. Wid

Share your favorite slope videos

Peaked Hill at Goat Rock Park. EPP foam JW with DI Laminating film (10 or 7 Mil) Turn down your volume, 30 to 40 mph wind noise. I want to build another but only see 3 and 5 Mil DI listed on the New Stuff page. If heavier stuff is coming I can wait but I wonder why no 10 or 7 Mil. Especially...