What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taranis X9D Plus

Woodway

New User
Reaction score
In some of the videos I have seen, for the model set- up there is a screen that has "Comic" renditions of fixed-wing aircraft, a helicopter and a Multirotor. Selecting one and answering the questions helps to set up that model.
I cannot find that screen can someone show how to get that screen?
Thanks
After some 25 years of using Futaba and their very easy set-up, The Taranis is a steep learning curve.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Futaba easy?? I myself would never say that! I had a Super Seven FP-T7UGF and FP-T7UAF that drove me into the arms of the Multiplex Profi 4000!

To my mind the key to OpenTX is to think of mixers and curves (all inputs go into a mixer, then the inputs are manipulated as we see fit and finally they are sent as an output to be transmitted to the RX). Other than some basic simple models this really is much easier than the constraints imposed by Futaba's, Jr's and Spektrum's (most other radio programs other than Multiplex) programing.

But yes, with all the power available from OpenTX it can be a bit daunting to use the full potential of OpenTX. Few of us are using the full potential of the program. But it sure is nice not to be constrained by the limitations of the master/slave concept.

These manuals might help.
https://alofthobbies.com/taranis-plus-user-manual.html

As to the image this thread might help get you started.
https://forum.alofthobbies.com/index.php?threads/great-resource-for-model-images.49/

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:
Reaction score
In some of the videos I have seen, for the model set- up there is a screen that has "Comic" renditions of fixed-wing aircraft, a helicopter and a Multirotor. Selecting one and answering the questions helps to set up that model.
I cannot find that screen can someone show how to get that screen?
Thanks
After some 25 years of using Futaba and their very easy set-up, The Taranis is a steep learning curve.

It is the Model Wizard script stored on the SD card. It is only for creating new models. It does not edit existing models. There is no model "Type" in OpenTX so it is a bit misleading. The Icons take the place of asking the question "what is this model going to be used for?"

Since it requires the SD card you must have a working SD card installed with the correct content. The Wizard is stored in \SCRIPTS\WIZARD. On the radio, when you create new model, I think it will run the Wizard if it finds it on the SD card. If not you just get a default 4 channel model. In Companion there is also a similar Wizard but there is an application setting to say whether it runs or not

Personally I find it is easier to create a model without the Wizard. Mostly it just adds channels in the Mixer. Once you get that the fundamental idea of OpenTX programming is hooking up a control to a channel, it's easier to just add what you want directly. IMO a much simpler one page wizard/menu to just create dual ailerons, delta, Y-Tail would more useful...possibly adding dual rates and throttle cut as options

Woodway

New User
Reaction score
Interesting. I am using an Xtreme Link Modle with internal RF turned off and I have now found the screen was looking for.
I am still looking for a way to REVERSE a servo. Is it done with changing the weight?

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
It is the arrow in the "Outputs" screen, pg 7/13.

I guess we should ask what version of OpenTX are you running?

Woodway

New User
Reaction score
I assume you mean the Firmware on the transmitter?
If so the answer is 2.1.6

gnichola

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I haven't read the manual, but I understand it is good. If you don't get that, or while you are waiting for it to show up, here are a couple links that might help.
http://open-txu.org/ They have a pretty good model setup section that gives an overview of a number of the technical details and terms that will probably help.

Woodway

New User
Reaction score
Can you please explain why it is important and is using the "Companion" the best way to do that?
I have not yet downloaded that as I see many versions and don't know which one to download.
This is all very new to me and concerned I will do something that damages the transmitter programs.
A link to what I should install on my computer would be really helpful.
Alan

gnichola

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Each version update lists items that were fixed or changed. The root link is here: http://www.open-tx.org/ and the 2.2 version can be then found here: http://www.open-tx.org/2018/07/28/opentx-2.2.2
I find companion to be much easier for an initial model setup, on the radio if you want to pick a source for example, you have to scroll through a long list of items by hitting the +- buttons, where in Companion you can get to the list with a dropdown menu.
As to destroying the radio, what you would first do with Companion is pull the firmware and settings off the radio and save them, this way you have something to go back to if you have a problem.

Woodway

New User
Reaction score
Konrad. My Futaba 10 cap does all the settings in just two screens and they are all shown in English, no computer speak.
Now can someone please tell me how to assign channels to be operated by specific switches. For example, i need to have channel 9 operated by the switch D

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Sounds like the Futaba 10 Cap is rather simple (Limited in its flexibility). To me this rarely means easy to set up to do what I want. Futaba and Jr forces one to do it their way, I often get myself into a corner with the more advance programing if I'm forced to do things one way.

Again I'm not sure what you are trying to do but this video might help. Painless 360, RCdiy and Scott Page each have good detailed You-Tube videos to help one change over from the Futaba/Jr radio mindset to the Multiplex/ FrSky way of thinking about channels, inputs, mixers and outputs.

I find that a few hours with the manuals will help get one to understand the programing concepts and their flexability.

I find that using Companion really helps navigate the Open TX program. I hate pushing, tapping and holding the buttons on the TX!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Interesting. I am using an Xtreme Link Modle with internal RF turned off and I have now found the screen was looking for.
I am still looking for a way to REVERSE a servo. Is it done with changing the weight?

It depends what you are trying to do by reversing the servo.

If you are trying to normalize your model to an ideal standard ready for programming then you will use the OUTPUT page and set the center, limits and direction there. This is probably what you are looking for.

If you need to have the channel work in the opposite direction when mixing then you can set the Weight to -100 on a mix line in the MIXER. People like to do this with the 2nd Aileron so the mix works in opposition.

If you want a control to work in the opposite direction then you can wrap it in an INPUT and set the Weight to -100. For example where the switch sends -100, 0, +100, if you create an INPUT using that switch as its Source with the Weight set to -100 it then the INPUT will send +100, 0, -100.

Konrad. My Futaba 10 cap does all the settings in just two screens and they are all shown in English, no computer speak.
Now can someone please tell me how to assign channels to be operated by specific switches. For example, i need to have channel 9 operated by the switch D

It's pretty easy but you do have to know what things are for. The OpenTX UI is set up for people who understand what the various things do to navigate quickly between them. It has no signposts of new users to indicate whether one thing is more important than another. It is also general purpose having hardly anything in it that pertains specifically to "aircraft". Because of that you have to read a manual that gives you a good overview before you can use it effectively. You don't have to know everything but you do have to know which bits are important for the things you want to do now.

Moving a channel with a Switch is pretty easy...

To move a channel at all you need at least one line for that channel in the MIXER and that line must have its Source field set to a control. Controls include sticks, switches, pots/sliders. You can set the Source to other things but that is more advanced use. All controls output values between -100 and +100. A 3 position switch will provide the values -100, 0 and +100 for its three positions. So all you have to do to have a switch move a channel is to set the Source field of the Mix line to the switch you want to use.

For for your example.
1. Go to the MIXER page
2. Select CH 9 and create a Mix line (we are assuming none exist)
3. Edit the mix line and set the Source field to SD

done...

channel 9 will now move with SD.

A common confusion is to set the Switch field with the Switch. The Switch fields does not control the channel position. It enables and disables the MIX line and is tests only one of the switches position(eg: is SD centered). You can use that to indirectly use switches to control a channel's value and that can be useful if you need to be able to set more than 3 channel positions.

Edit: added the missing bit to the INPUT stuff and fixes a few typos.

Last edited:

Woodway

New User
Reaction score
Thank you, that is very helpful. I have printed it out for further reference.
Alan

Woodway

New User
Reaction score
I am using Companion and in MIXERS.
The model has flaps with two servos so my mix is channel 6 and 8. It shows as Switch (SA) for both channels.
If I double click I get a new box that lets me change the switch selection BUT I want the flaps to be operated from the slider on the right-hand side. That is not an option in this screen. Anyone know how to set those channels to the slider? The manual just says
" You can choose the Switch and define its positions in the mixer menu"

Reaction score
The Mix line "Source" field is used to select the control that sets the position/value of the channel. You can select all types of controls.

I suspect you are trying to set the "Switch" field. The Switch field is used to enable/disable the mix line so you can only select particular Switch conditions there...either actual switch positions or Logical Switches. Note that you have to create the Logical Switch before you will be able to select it.

Woodway

New User
Reaction score
"]Note that you have to create the Logical Switch before you will be able to select it"
Thanks but that tells me" What to do" but not "How to do it"

Reaction score
The "how to do it" part is to set the "Source" field to the control you want to use do move the channel...a slider I think you said.

The Logic Switch thing is just additional information about the "Switch" field that you (probably) should not be using.

Woodway

New User
Reaction score
I am beginning to think that I should not be using this system at all.

I upgraded the firmware from 2.1.6 to 2.2.2 and now when I turn on the transmitter I get an SDCard warning
"Expected version 2.2V0018"
also, no simulation because " Missing Library"

I have spent the best part of two days trying to set it up. I could have done it all on my Futaba in five minutes at the most. The ONLY reason I went this route was that I wanted more than Eight channels.
Big Mistake.