What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot upgrade firmware

SkyPilot420

New User
Reaction score
My computer won’t see my Taranis plus to upgrade the firmware and I cannot use the Companion software until I can upgrade the tx. I tried using Zadig to upgrade the drivers but it doesn’t see the drivers I am supposed to update. Please advise.
Computer new HP
Tx Ver: opentx-x9dp-v2.0.9.2
Date: 2014-10-28
EEPR: 216
Thank you
Larry V

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
With a plus you should not need to use Zadig. I will suggest you take a look at your USB cable and make sure it is a data cable and in good condition. Then take a look at the pins on the radio and make sure they don't look bent up. If both are good, then it comes down to the computer, and we do see this from time to time. Bad USB drivers on the computers. If you have access to another computer, give that a try. Maybe a buddy has a Mac, I hate to say it, but Macs are much more reliable in my experience.

There are some conversations regarding certain newer computers and USB ports on the OpenTX forum, it gets very technical very fast over there. I generally find it easier to try another computer rather than mess with all of the drivers and such in Windows.

We had a computer there that worked great with the radios and all sorts of stuff. It was our main tech computer. It just worked. Like all things in a small business, we used that computer for other tasks also. And between normal daily tasks and setting up flight controllers, dealing with new USB devices and printer, buring OpenTX onto Horus systems, you name it. Suddenly the computer became very unstable on anything related to USB ports. Recently I reset Windows and took it back to a virgin state and all is good again. Our PC systems have to deal with a lot of different drivers from a lot of different products and who knows what all software etc. I'm no expert, and just try and keep things as simple as possible. Sometimes I get lucky!

Good luck! Worse comes to worse, we can inspect your radio and make sure it is not the issue, but most of the times it is the computer that is the issue, not the radio.

SkyPilot420

New User
Reaction score
With a plus you should not need to use Zadig. I will suggest you take a look at your USB cable and make sure it is a data cable and in good condition. Then take a look at the pins on the radio and make sure they don't look bent up. If both are good, then it comes down to the computer, and we do see this from time to time. Bad USB drivers on the computers. If you have access to another computer, give that a try. Maybe a buddy has a Mac, I hate to say it, but Macs are much more reliable in my experience.

There are some conversations regarding certain newer computers and USB ports on the OpenTX forum, it gets very technical very fast over there. I generally find it easier to try another computer rather than mess with all of the drivers and such in Windows.

We had a computer there that worked great with the radios and all sortsu of stuff. It was our main tech computer. It just worked. Like all things in a small business, we used that computer for other tasks also. And between normal daily tasks and setting up flight controllers, dealing with new USB devices and printer, buring OpenTX onto Horus systems, you name it. Suddenly the computer became very unstable on anything related to USB ports. Recently I reset Windows and took it back to a virgin state and all is good again. Our PC systems have to deal with a lot of different drivers from a lot of different products and who knows what all software etc. I'm no expert, and just try and keep things as simple as possible. Sometimes I get lucky!

Good luck! Worse comes to worse, we can inspect your radio and make sure it is not the issue, but most of the times it is the computer that is the issue, not the radio.

You were right on point, the cable was the problem but now I have more problems. I downloaded the new version of “Companion” and when I tried to use it to edit my EPROMs I got the message that “simulator was not yet available”. I deleted that version of Companion and installed an earlier version, now the simulator works fine but if I try to import the EPROMs from my radio to Companion I get the message “ invalid binary eprom files” as you can see in the attachments. I have upgraded the radio to the latest firmware, should I take it back to an earlier version, if so, how.
Please advise....BTW Thankyou for your prompt reply to my first post.

Attachments

• BFE24D95-3F2E-43AD-A59A-CF4400237108.jpeg
    BFE24D95-3F2E-43AD-A59A-CF4400237108.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 217
  • 8AD3722E-076B-46E5-BF0C-04607EE0DE5B.jpeg
    8AD3722E-076B-46E5-BF0C-04607EE0DE5B.jpeg
    520.6 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

SkyPilot420

New User
Reaction score
I have the new firmware in the radio as shown in the Scott Page video but am unable to load a new Boot loader, according to the Page video it should be in the SD card folder but there is nothing in that folder. When I turn my Tx on I get a “SD Card Warning, Expected Version 2.2.V0018” my curren TX versi9n is:
opentx-xdt
Ver: 2.2.2 (a5de713b)
EEPR: 218
Vid: 0047002F 3333470D 36373231
Also, when I open Companion I get the message “Can’t extract Radio/radio.bin” but when I click “OK” Companion opens up. Also, when I turn my radio on I get a “Throttle Warning” but the throttle is all the way down.

Last edited:

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
OK - Lots going on here. First off, you might as well use the current OpenTX, 2,2,2.
https://www.open-tx.org/2018/07/28/opentx-2.2.2

You want the version on the radio and the companion to be the same.

Part of the upgrade for the radio is updating the SD card contents. Those files can be found here:
https://downloads.open-tx.org/2.2/release/sdcard/
or for the X9D radios:
https://downloads.open-tx.org/2.2/release/sdcard/opentx-x9d+/sdcard-taranis-x9-2.2V0018.zip

You will expand that download and copy the files and folders to the root of your SD card. (You should probably delete the files already on your SD card, copy anything custom you may have added.)

Bootloader - for the bootloader process to work a copy of the firmware needs to be in the FIRMWARES folder on the SD card. Your old Bootloader is probably fine though, so no great worries.

SkyPilot420

New User
Reaction score
I have done everything you suggested in the post #5 but get the messages as described in post #4. A local hobby shop is going to try to fix the problem, if they can’t find the problem I will send it back for a factory reset.
Thanks, Larry V

JimC

New User
Reaction score
hi Wayne, ive just been having the same issue & am very new to all of this, but wanted to thank you as my taranis was having the same issue with the SD warning.

i formatted the SD card & reinstalled everything & all is great now